Subject: [Leica] Re: Int'l price difference
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 10:00:16 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Brick wrote:

>Please excuse me while I step up upon my soap box.

Hi Jim,

Let me take exception to a couple things in your post.

>You are all looking at the moment, rather than the big >picture.

- - - - snip - - -
> you will have it taken care of at no added cost and
>little (perhaps no) inconvenience.

I just did a number on two of my R bodies.  I FEDEXed them to Leica
(NJ) and they said 4 weeks.

>If you don't care about paying full repair fare, or >shipping your
>equipment abroad to someone you don't know,
>through customs,

I don't under stand this at all.  If I buy a lens from an AUTHORIZED
DEALER  in Berlin, Copenhagen, Zurich, etc. it is covered by the two
year Leica International Warranty.  If I should have a problem, I
would ship it to New Jersey (just as I would for items purchased in
the US), not back to Europe.

I think you are correct about purchasing an R8 and getting the US
Passport warranty, considering the problems that they have been
having.  And if the dealer is offering the extended Passport Warranty
I would get that also.

>There are many people who come here to the US, and/or >buy via mail,
just to get the unique US passport >warranty.

Jim, I don't understand this either.  Please correct me if I am wrong,
but isn't the US Passport Warrenty good only in the US?  And as far as
I know, it is not even valid in Canada.

>If you have an authorized Leica dealer close to where >you live, get
to know him/her. If you don't have one
>close, get to know a known reputable dealer over the >phone. That
Leica Dealer - customer link will be an >important asset over the
years. I personally have
>had it proven to me many many times.

Here I couldn't agree with you more.  But as long as you have a good
relationship with the dealer...why does it matter where the dealer is
located.

The point of my original post was that the market is changing and
Leica and other companies are no longer going to be able to keep their
multi level pricing policies secret.

Kind regards,
Bill Erfurth