Subject: Re: [Leica] LIFE and National Geographic
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 20:52:32 -0500

At 12:28 PM 7/4/98 -0800, you wrote:

>but suffering through the rest wasn't worth it. One spread that sticks in
>my mind in particular was an essay on eastern Oregon. Granted, it's not
>neccessarily a photogenic landscape, but it they couldn't have done better
>than the entirely bland images that they had then they should have just
>passed on the article.

Have you spent any time in Southeastern Oregon? If you haven't then maybe
you ought to got there and take a look around before criticizing Sarah
Leen's photos. I, myself, who lived in Southern Oregon at the time thought
it was a wonderful essay that really captured the feeling of the area. And
just because it doesn't look like other National Geographic essays only
makes the argument that it was a good choice. They have to show us
something new, and that was that.

Not that National Geographic doesn't have problems, especially now with
their battle with photographers over rights to pictures used in the past.
But of all the examples you used, I just disagree that that was an example
I would think of when talking about what they might not be doing right. No
single article will engross every person. Their bigger problem is not
letting photographers stay out as long as they used to, and cramming more
articles into one issue.

But by the time they figure that out, the magazine could very well die.

Bean Counters. Shakespeare didn't know about them, or he would have said
bean counters instead of lawyers.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown