Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICAFLEX SL & SL2
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 00:06:18 -0500

yeo-ka@dematic.com.sg wrote:

>      Hi. I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but here goes...
>
>      1. What is the difference between the SL, SL2 and the current R-
>         series models?

The R3 was a complete break from Leicaflex development and was the first
electronic Leitz SLR (based on Minolta technology).

>      2. Can the SL and SL2 take the latest R-series lenses (ROM and without
>         ROM)?

The ROM has no function with the SL/SL-2.  The SL/SL-2 require 2-cam or 3-cam
lenses, few of which are currently made.  Most current R lenses have only  the
3rd cam and work on cameras dating from the R3.  Nevertheless, there are plenty
of used 3-cam lenses available that are outstanding and very well made.  Any
lens that has 3 cams is new enough to have outstanding optical and mechanical
characteristics.

Some 3-cam lenses won't work on the SL (16 and 19).

>      3. What is the main differences between the SL and SL2? I noticed that
>         there is quite a big difference in the resale value of the SL2
>         against the SL.

Exposure meter sensitivity increased fourfold.
Aperture scale added to bottom of viewfinder. (The SL has only the shutter
speed in viewfinder).
Match-needle meter illuminated by pressing a button on side of pentaprism.
Focusing screen with 3mm diameter split-image focusing aid in addition to the
microprism disc of the SL.
Mirror redesigned to allow fitting of 16 and 19mm lenses
Hotshoe for flash in addition to usual two PC sockets.
Safety lock for camera back under film speed dial, back opened up by pulling up
rewind knob.

"A greatly improved SL and the pinnacle of achievement at Wetzlar before
Japanese technology had to be brought in and production shifted to Portugal.  A
great camera but uneconomic to produce." Dennis Laney.

In my opinion, the SL/SL-2 and the M2/M3 were the ultimate cameras produced by
Leitz.  The SL is a terrific camera with probably the brightest viewfinder of
any SLR ever made.  I can't explain why the SL is so cheap but if you can find
one in good condition, it works beautifully.  You can pick up great lenses like
the first versions of the 35mm Elmarit-R, 50mm Elmarit-R and 90mm Elmarit-R for
a fairly reasonable cost and this outfit will produce wonderful results.

Bud Cook