Subject: RE: [Leica] M thoughts
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 00:53:16 -0700

> From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> [mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Ken Iisaka

> I believe R6 and R6.2 use very inexpensive but superbly accurate and
> durable Copal shutter units also found on inexpensive Yashica and other
> entry-level manual SLRs.

I was under the impression that the R6 and R6.2 shutter were a Solms design,
although now that I go looking, the only source I can find for this claim is
the somewhat cryptic description in Jonathan Eastland's book "Leica R
Compendium" says: "Shutter: Mechanical, Leica patent vertical traverse,
metal bladed roller type."  This is kind of brief, and Eastland's book is
full of errors.  But I can't shake the impression that I saw something
besides the Eastland book that said that the R6/R6.2 shutter was a Leica
design.

- -Patrick