Subject: Re: [Leica] Dual Range 50mm Summicron and more.
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:27:55 EDT

Robert, this was not a scientific fact, I based it on a test of 4 DR,a #15xx
xxx, a couple in the 18xx xxx series and the one I kept 2,1xx xxx. At one time
a Leica Wetzlar lens expert said that the DR was slightly reformulated at
around #2000 000 or #2100 000, mainly a change in the coating procedure. The
one I kept is superb, my best 50 ( of about 7-8 50's), sharp, contrasty and
heavy! With the 21/3,4 and the 35/1,4 Asph and the 75/1,4, it belongs to my
favourite arsenal of lenses. I think sometimes our preference for equipment is
based on very tactile emotions. If it is smooth to use, or just feels right in
the hand you use it more often and ,as in everything, you get better at using
it. Maybe we ascribe mythical values to inert mechanical devices, but my
feeling is that if you are comfortable with the tool, you become a better
craftsman. There are times when I feel that our pursuit of the latest, best,
fastest lens or body hampers our quality as photographers. There are times
when I prefer shooting with old M2's and a 35/2 and a 50/2 ( aforementioned
DR) and Tri-X. Nothing gets in the way, I know the cameras and lenses well
enough to use them instinctively and the Tri-x is a film that forgives a lot,
so the hang-up with perfect exposures isn't that important. Mind you, I don't
have to justify my negs or prints to an Art Director or Editor any longer,
only to myself. Maybe we should all forego the purchase of a lens or camera
body in the next 2-3 month (before FotoKina, of course) and spend that money
on film and use it. After FotoKina, all bets are off, maybe they will have the
new 90/2 Asph-Apo or an upgraded 50/1,4 or my dream, a 75/2,4 APO.
Tom A