Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine}
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 07:49:16 -0500

At 01:08 PM 7/8/98 +0200, you wrote:

>photographers. Same could be said of a large part of today's
>international photo journalism work, though there has not been that much
>change since the Sixties (except the systematic use of dayligh fill
>flash and the intensive usage of lenses wider than 28mm).

Photojournalism is one word. I know the guy (now deceased) who coined it.

You haven't been looking at the best of the best, then, because it's never
been better in quality and sophistication. Unfortunately, people don't
often see it because of quality-blind editors (both word and visual) who
don't appreciate good work. Or publishers who don't like work that
"disturbs" or challenges the magazine/newspaper paradigms.

I sat in on the Pictures of the Year contest this year sponsored by the
University of Missouri, National Press Photographers, Canon and Kodak. This
is the largest professional photojournalism contest in the world, and for
magazine photographers is only exceeded by the World Press contest. The
quality of the work is stunning, compared to what one sees on a daily
basis. But over the period of a year, the stunningly good photos that are
used around the world is amazing. World Press Photo contest is a good
indication of the same, last catalogue of winners I saw from that contest.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.