Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine} vs word herders
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 16:41:38 +0200

Hi Eric,

You have snipped parts of my post that put in perspective the paragraph
you are reacting against. As a professional editor (chief editor should
I add) and a person with a passion for photography, I live a sort of a
double life.

The status of photographic material does vary, depending on the type of
magazine or newspaper we are talking about. A glossy sports magazine, a
prestigious travel magazine, an interior decoration magazine, a high end
fashion magazine, a serious news magazine, etc, will use photographic
material in a different way to that of a technically oriented IT
magazine, a stock market magazine, a consumerist magazine, a medical
magazine, a local gossip magazine, etc, etc. I would add catalogues,
corporate leaflets, advertisement to the list as well, on a different
level of communication.

But it is likely that photographic material will be used all over. The
exact same things could be said regarding text, which you erroneously
oppose to pictures in your post subject line.

It is therefore not correct to believe that photography AS SUCH deserves
in all cases more - or less - recognition or attention than any of the
other elements involved in editing (text, infography, cartoons, etc).
There are forms of perfectly respectable professional photography that
are exclusively oriented towards the objective of providing useable
illustrations to a large array of media.

In the case of my magazine, which is specialized in IT, photographs are
required to show objects (printers, copiers, PCs, etc) or people (CEO of
this or EDP manager of that). As an editor, I favour images with "loads
of colours" for objects and of "sufficient" quality for people (I try to
avoid ugly P&S flash snapshots as much as possible). For the rest I do
not care: the readers, publisher, interviewed persons, suppliers,
advertisers are the decisive parties. My professional requirements are
thus quite low on some of the main aspects of the photographic process.
And I probably often invest more attention to the quality of the screen
shot of a tested software or to the readability of product tables.

As a keen photographer, I find nothing interesting in the pictures I
publish as an editor (except my own of course ;-)  )

Regarding your point of view, I have no wish to diminish the merits of
the cases you mention. They are on a different level, where radical
emotions are the order of the day. And I totally respect the
photographers who obtain the reactions you describe. But, just to bother
you, I would suggest that to the eyes of an active speculator, a well
designed pie chart might often have much more weight (and provoke more
emotions) than the best high quality b/w Leica portrait of the richest
shareholder of Minnesota  ;-)

Friendly regards,
Alan,
Brussels-Belgium

PS  BTW, my main language is French, my work as an editor is in French,
so you might excuse the mediocre level of my written English...