Subject: Re: [Leica] Today's Great Photographers {was Photo whores}
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:54:53 EDT

BD Colen wrote:

<< If the above is the general view of life in the USofA, then photo
 journalism, or journalism in general, is failing and failing badly. It is
 certainly true that the days of riots, mass protests, the emergence of the
 "counter culture" are far distant - the days of "f 8 and be there." >>
Dear BD:

It seems to me that when discussing great images of the past, the period in
which these images were taken were historically significant, i.e., great
depression, WWII, Viet Nam, etc.  Maybe Eric Welch or other pros out there can
answer this better than I, but do we need major historical events to produce
great photojournalism that 95% of the public will take interest?

Arturo