Subject: Re: [Leica] To use or not to use UV filter
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 06:10:35 +0000

At 04:18 PM 8/7/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't often use a filter with my non-Leica lenses, but my 35/2
>Summicron-M cost enough that I want to do it simply for the protection
>it offers.
>
>If I use Leica's own E39 UV filter, am I likely to significantly
>decrease the optical performance for which I bought the lens in the
>first place?  I assume the answer is "yes", but I also suspect it may
>be by a negligible amount, at least by my standards.  I don't
>scrutinize my photos for the absolute best optical performance.
>
>The lens in question is the 35/2 ASPH.

Andrew

There is much said for and against using a filter over your leica lens.  If
it makes you feel better, then use one.  I often use them and am glad at
the end of the day that I did.

I found that the B&W MC UV filters are much cheaper and are good value for
money.  The MC variety costs a bit more than the non-MC type but they are
still cheaper than the original Leica.   They make chrome and black ones.

Dan K.