Subject: [Leica] Lack of R8 problems
From: "GBICKET" <GBICKET@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:54:48 -0600

While the focus of this thread ebbs and flows, it seems to me that reports
of R8 problems have dropped off precipitously.  The problem I reported here
regarding static sensitivity was promptly addressed by Leica USA as you may
recall, and I wonder if the fix they developed has already been incorporated
into new camera production.

One of the measures we can use in assessing the market stamina of Leica is
the promptness and agility with which they respond to problems such as this
one.  By the time I emailed Leica of this problem, they had developed a fix
and had implemented the repair in several cameras.  Occasional problems will
continue, and everything possible should be done to minimize them.  But
overall, it's my sense that at least reports of R8 seem to have diminished.
I wonder what dealer-LUGgers are seeing in this regard.

Anticipation is better than responsiveness in a precision manufacturing
environment, but prompt quality response to problems is valuable.  Now, if
Leica has really resolved the early problems that were being reported by
incorporating changes and improvements into the manufacture of R8, we should
be amongst the first to recognize this and applaud it.  It is one measure of
the stuff required to survive.  If it is true that Leica is aggressively and
successfully resolving the early glitches R8 suffered, the considerable
merits of this camera will shine through and become the lasting impression.

Enjoy the light.

Greg Bicket