Subject: [Leica] Ideal Lens Set, R versus M
From: R.P.A.C.Savenije@AVV.RWS.minvenw.nl
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 98 17:16:48 +0100

I promissed a report of my latest trip with the R8.

After years photographing with the M3 and
additional lens set of 21, 35, 50, 90 and
135 mm, I bought myself a R8 with 80-200
and 35 mm.

My visit to Spain last two months was my first real
experience with the R. What a difference. I have
been travelling from north to south and from east to
west, did see many cities and a lot of nature. Especially
Granada, the Sierra Nevada and the nature reserve "Donana" are
extremely beautifull and a perfect place for making a lot of
pictures and fun . In one day time I did do snowboarding and diving!

As I always do, I made slides, velvia and ektachrome. The results
were astonishing. Using a tripod makes it even better. My M3 lenses
are of the same age as the M3, one of the first made. I did not
expect so much improvement of the quality of the lenses, but the
difference is increadible. By using a good projector every slide is
astonishing.

Apart from the lenses which are apparently much better, the R8
is used very differently from the M3. Of course the integrated
light meter is very easy, but don't expect a point and shoot
camera. With the M3 I do have a certain feeling or feedback with
the camera and the subject which tells me what is wrong or right.
I don't have this feeling with the R8 yet.

It is a beautifull instrument, not difficult to operate
compared to all its functions, but can not substitute the M3
in all situations. For nature photgraphy the 80-200 is perfect.
Changing lenses is sometimes to much time consuming. Preselect you
aperture or shutter speed and you only have to focus at your subject.
The results are very very good, also at full aperture.

In cities I still would like the smaller (easy to hide under your
jacket, snapshots) M3. I did mis my extreme wide angle (21mm).
The R should be equiped with the 19mm I think.
More remarkable is the lack of the 50mm.
I almost did not miss it. It pushes you to think about creative
solutions and different points of view. This is the danger of the
zoom lens, it makes you lazy and you will miss other perceptions.

My ideal R set for travelling would be:

19mm
35mm
80-200mm
monopod

Small, not to heavy, good performance.

Last but not least, the Spanish people are
realy friendly and assisting you whenever necessary.
As soon as they notice that you speek Spanish they
never stop talking !

Richard S.