Subject: Re: [Leica] (no subject)
From: Denton Taylor <denton@asan.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:52:24 -0400

At 07:33 AM 7/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Do any of you LUG members use a spot meter often? On page 42 of the new,
>August issue of Popular Photography, there is an article about
>Washington state photographer Bill Slack wherein he states his love for
>the Pentax Digital Spotmeter. However, he essentially shoots only
>landscapes and that brings to mind a thought: Are spot meters only good
>for non-mobile subjects like landscapes, which give one time to analyze
>the data issued by the meter?

Spot meters are essential for anything and everything. Especially portraits!

I don't carry one with my M6--that's why I got one--but I try my best to
use the selective metering of the M6 like a spot meter.

Unfortunately in the SLR world I'm using mostly Contax with some Oly--both
bought due to ease of spot metering. When I use medium format b&w I can't
conceive of doing it without a spot meter.

BTW, I would suggest the Pentax spot meter is no longer state of the art.
Take a look at the Sekonic L508, which has the ability to do spot and
incident, in both normal and flash modes. Also, one can vary the size of
the spot. Way cool...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com