Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Trip to Cuba, what to take?
From: "Uwe Mader" <uwe_mader@cclink.metrodesk.metrotor.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 98 16:14:24 EST

     I visited Cuba in October 1996.  I stayed at a resort outside of
Santiago.  The resort offered many day trips such as to Santiago as well as a
tour of nearby bat caves.  We took the Santiago tour which included a visit of
the cemetery in Santiago, including Jose Marti's tomb, the former Baccardi
factory, a cigar factory, the fort at the entrance to the port of Santiago, and
eventually a short visit of Santiago itself.  IMHO, photographically speaking
the fort was the best, but even here we only had about half an hour to wander
about.  Unfortunately I did not spend much time with the cigar rollers in the
cigar factory as I was on a cigar purchasing mission.  Outside the rum factory
and the cigar factory there were photo opportunities of the streetscape and
locals, you just could not wander far because of time constraints.  At the end
of the tour we were given one hour to wander Santiago by ourselves.  The only
problem with this was that you were constantly hounded for money, pens, paper
whatsoever by the locals.  We did manage to get atop a roof top restaurant which
provided some good photos.

Another possibility for photos was the apres dinner shows that they had at the
resort.  One evening they brought the performers from the Tropicana in Santiago
(Havana also has one of these).  The only problem here was the slow synch speed
of the M camera's.

As to gear I brought a Contax T, an M3, a 35 f2.8 Summaron (with eyes), a 50
Summicron, a 90 f2.8 Tele-Elmarit, and a 135 f4.5 Hektor. Flash was a Metz 32 CT
7. The 35 mm got the most use, the 50 mm the next most, the 135 mm I think I
used once, and the 90 mm was good for the Tropicana night shots.  Film was Kodak
Gold 100 and Ilford Delta 100.  Filter for the Delta was a Leitz 1 yellow
filter.  Personally, I would not bother with darker filters as my pictures
provide more than enough colour separation between clouds and sky.

Uwe Mader