Subject: Re: [Leica] Today's Great Photographers (Values Question)
From: LP6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:38:13 EDT

Ted Inspired, Somewhat off-topic, Discussion and Proposal:

With respect to Ted's "small town...photographer":  maybe he just has the
right stuff ...where the right stuff is good value vision; i.e., a better than
average general capacity to value (persons, social and practical situations,
concepts and ideas, and  last but not least himself in the context of
photography).  Such sensitivity and balance, growing out of presumed value
skills, confers on this photographer a focused and superior value vision for
the capturing of superior  images ("products").

Maybe his aesthetic values aren't so corrupted by the pressure of the mass
mind (population denstities, pop culture, commercial economic pressures) and
just maybe he is able to value himself and the world in an above average way?

More practical:  A group of us have developed a "quick test"  (paper and
pencil) of a person's general capacity to value -in the three core dimensions
of valuation- that takes 10-15 minutes to self -administer, and I would
welcome a chance to test my theory about value vision as the "right
stuff"....but I need volunteers!  Any suggestions on how we might  proceed do
this?   Is there any interest?

For Example:  Would it be possible for LUG members to nominate, by some sort
of consensus,  a group of recognized, high-photographic achievers in our LUG
family who might then take our value profile  (HVP-PIV) anonymously, return it
to one LUG volunteer for collation in a batch result.  These data might then
be sent to me for computer processing, analysis and a LUG report  would then
be posted by me?  There need be no name attached to the HVP-PIV  (Value
Profile) ; for, we would be looking for general measures that characterize our
GOOD PHOTOGRAPHERS.

Such an anonymous survey would obligate me only to analyze the group (pooled)
data, and present these data on the LUG for all to read.   We would be testing
the hypothesis that good photographers (nominated by a LUG consensus drawing
on past performance and achievements etc.)  have an above average capacity to
value and that this capacity has some sort of focus not commonly observed in
the general population. By general population I mean college students which
would be our reference or bench mark group etc.

If anyone shares my curiosity in this regard and wants to step forward to
orchestrate such a LUG experiment (having to do with photographic value
vision); why, then, let me know?   I merely propose, and of course, the LUG
will dispose!  Await your feedback?

LP6@aol.com

Leon Pomeroy, Ph.D., President
Behavioral Axiology, Ltd.