Subject: Re: [Leica] Film scratches
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 22:03:25 -0400

I open cassettes if requested, but then I have to put them into a carrier
that has felt lips on it! Since these carriers are used over and over, it is
possible that opening the cassettes can cause more damage than leaving the
film in! I sometimes feel that you're damned if you do and damned if you
don't!
I will say this, that I have never had serious scratches where the cassette
was returned to the film can and the can and cassette was returned to the
lab. Most of our serious shooters do this and I've never had to explain
scratched film to any of them!
Dan'l
P.S.- I am somewhat of a fanatic on seeing that the processor is clean, film
I actually measure the temp with a digital hand held thermometer since the
machine's readout is a few tenth's off!, and mix the chemistry very
carefully. My plots are about as dead on as you could want, but I still
agonize over those people who buy something like an N90 or F5 and then shoot
only on Program, into the sun, or without fill flash, ambient light with a
lot of flourescents, or where there isn't any light at all- then want me to
develope and print Pulitzer Prize winning prints! AAAARGH!
dwpost@msn.com