Subject: Re: [Leica] Le fabuleux Leica M5
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 00:09:38 EDT

The M5 is a wonderful camera for all of the reasons given, plus the vertical
carry is really very good.  It makes the camera easier to carry unobtrusively
and more comfortably.  One problem can be finding replacement straps, since
the original leather ones are over 20 years old and have a nasty habit of
drying out and breaking.  Nothing could be more embarassing than dropping your
Leica because the strap broke!  Since my original leather strap on my M4-2
broke, with the camera tumbling onto a railroad track in Germany, I only use
the new style Leica straps.  The strap for the Leica Ultra Binoculars works
very well (cat #42 159).  It is made out of woven nylon with a molded in non-
slip pad.  The attachment loops are made out of leather, so it won't scratch
the camera.

BTW, I have had my M5 converted to the M6 stlyle frame lines (done by DAG).
The frame lines are now very bright along with the rangefinder patch.  It
makes the camera a delight to use.  Costly, but worthwhile. Now I can also use
the 28 and 75 lenses with the M5.  I also installed the M6 eyepiece with the
rubber surround to protect my glasses.  Another useful addition.

The larger M lenses such as the 50 Noctilux, 75 Summilux and 35 Summilux ASPH
balance very well on the M5, making a wonderful combination that is a joy to
use.

Excellent choice in a camera!  Have fun!

Bill Rosauer