Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summicron-R vs. 35mm Elmarit-R
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:46:06 -0500

At 02:15 PM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I want to get a 35mm lens for my R6.  I was wondering if anybody would
give me
>their impressions of the 35mm Summicron and 35mm Elmarit lenses for the R
>cameras.  I realise the Elmarit is has been discontinued, and I don't really
>'need' the extra stop of the Summicron.  Since I am not familar with these
two
>lenses, I was hoping for feedback from the experienced users out there.

They're supposed to have pretty close to the same performance, says what
literature Leica had on it back when I read that stuff. But the special
character of the Summicron is that it's nearly flare-free. A very good
lens. But so is the Elmarit. I suspect you should determine your choice on
the difference in size and weight. The Elmarit is smaller and lighter. And
cheaper too.

But don't assume you don't want that extra stop of speed. Wide open, the
Summicron is great.

Me, I'd get the Summilux. It's a wonderful lens.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value.

Stephen Hawking