Subject: Re: [Leica] If Leica is too expensive what would be the best alternative?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 12:17:45 -0400

If you are interested in new equipment, I think you would only be happy
with a camera like the Nikon FM2.  It is an all mechanical camera, with
batteries used only for the meter, similar to the M6.

On the used market, there are many old mechanical Minoltas out there with
excellent lenses at reasonable prices (my first camera was a Minolta
SRT-101, so I am a bit biased  ;-)).   My understanding is that Minolta
optics have similar 'bokeh' to Leica's.  I still have my Minolta 58/1.2
lens, which took beautiful photographs in it's day.  It still focuses very
smoothly, very similar in feel to leica lenses.

One thing to keep in mind, Nikon optics focus in the opposite direction to
that of Leica (or Minolta).

Dan C.