Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Gear & Kids
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:25:02 EDT

<<how many of you who have kids 12 and under retain your serenity while your
children
use your leica equipment (despite it's marvelous guarantee) ??

how many list members who have kids 12 and under, and who encourage their
children to
explore photography, have purchased leica equipment for their children ??>>

As the parent of 2 boys, ages 8 and 11, I can speak to this.  I often let my
kids use my M's.  I insist that they keep the strap around their necks and I
keep an eye on them.  They realize that they are using a very expensive and
special camera and are very careful.  I think that these cameras are to use,
they are tools.  Tools are to be used appropriately.  I also have an extensive
collection of professional caliber carpentry tools (I used to be a
cabinetmaker) which my kids can use with supervision.  I think the best way to
learn new skills is to practice them.  I feel that cameras are no different
than hammers.  I also buy the best hammers I can find, because they are a joy
to use and work better.  Just like Leicas.
	I recently bought my 11 year old an Olympus OM-1 because it seemed Leica
- -like,small and not automatic.  I didn't want to invest in a more expensive
camera until I knew he was really interested in photography and would stick
with it.  It looks like an upcoming birthday might bring a Leica screwmount.
My younger son has been doing photograms in the darkroom.  We have a lot of
interesting images of Godzilla and  friends.  Lately, he has been nagging me
for a camera.  I think a I'll get him an inepensive point and shoot.  It's
always interesting to see what images kid produce.  They have no preconceived
ideas about what a photograph should be.  I get to see all kinds of unusual
compositions and points of view I would never think of.  Sorry this ran on so
long, but I think it's important for us to share our passions with our
children.  The sharing creates a very special bond between parent and child.
They need to know some of the possibilities in life.

		Richard Wasserman