Subject: Re: [Leica] Once in a Lifetime -- The Whole Enchilada
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:29:32 -0700

After responding to David personally, I figured I might as well post it to
the LUG, too, as an example of some of my own Leica leanings lately.

BTW - David's "longest post" makes for very interesting reading (just be in
kind of a "book" mood when you start) and be sure to check out David's web
photos - some great images at
http://www.nasm.edu/GALLERIES/GAL104/bwings/bwswph.html

( David Almy wrote <snip>:

I'd be happy to mail the poster to any Luggers who email me their snail
mail
address. (This offer is made only to those who have managed to read this
far in
what probably, at this point, is the Lug's longest single post.)

Hi David -

When I  saw your post, my first thought was, whose life story is this
anyway? Then for some reason I started reading. . . fascinating! Of course
it helps that I love both airplanes and Leicas. I have even shot some 4x5
Velvia myself (no 8x10 yet), so really enjoyed that story, too. Using a
van, forklift and gas truck puts a whole new meaning to the word, tripod!

My own photo exhibit is going up tomorrow, albeit on a smaller scale. The
classiest hotel in town, The Eureka Inn, is displaying my "North Coast
Classics, Distinctive Light on Local Landscapes" as a permanent exhibit,
which  includes with each photo the specific driving directions on how to
get to the scenes depicted. Visitors can take a travel directions brochure
with them. In fact, the way I sold the whole idea of the exhibit was to
help the hotel to entice people to stay an extra day and see some of our
amazing North Coast California scenery.

My slides are all from M6 on Velvia, which I enlarged (V35 of course) to
11x14 Cibachromes (don't you hate the word, Ilfochrome?), and a few are 4x5
color transparencies (Super Graphic with Rodenstock 135mm Sironar-N)
enlarged to 16x20 (Omega D3 with EL-Nikkor 135). Both sizes are very
conservative for the original film formats, and the detail on Cibachrome is
wonderful. The prints will also be for sale, so I will know soon (opening
is Aug 1) if any of this actually PAYS anything! Seeing about 20 prints on
the wall will be very satisfying in any case, as I'm sure you are very
aware.

Getting out to Washington, DC for me is about as likely as you getting out
to Eureka, so it may be awhile before either of us see each other's
exhibits. Altho the scale of our exhibits are significantly different, I'm
sure our feelings of accomplishment are very similar, so congrats on the
National Air and Space Museum, keep up the great work, and yes, I really
would appreciate very much a copy of the poster.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Todoroff