Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom prints versus digital prints
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:47:31 +0100

Alex Hurst wrote:
[...]
> 3) There is also a point about publishing on the Web, as many of us do.
> No-one would claim that a compressed JPEG is going to come anywhere near
> the quality of a Cibachrome or even a good high-end ink-jet print.

> Nevertheless, a striking image will still be striking despite the
> considerable loss of technical quality.

Agreed. What's more, with a good digital image (i.e., many pixels and
a full tonal scale), output to a good monitor yields a longer
scale of output values than _any_ conventional printing process -
silver or dye. The BIG problem with electronic output is that the
rlationship between the digital values and the output values varies
appallingly from one computer/monitor to the next. And W3C STILL has
not included a Gamma tag in HTML, let alone defined really useful
color standards... Grrrrrrr.
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com
            | PGP public key: http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/ | voice:503/494-6840
            |"...during my five minutes of reflection, the world spent ten