Subject: RE: [Leica] Wonders of plastic (digital)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:47:04 +0100

Alan wrote:

<huge snip>

>So my fourth source of amazement is the way people who have invested huge
>amounts of money into the best of the best in optical quality for 35mm
>photography seem suddenly aware of harsh economics when it comes to get the
>image from neg/slide onto paper, and happily accept high levels of
>compromise on the output side. Is there not something highly contradictory
>in glorifying the holy Leica name and paying the financial dues required by
>the Church of Solms, and then try to prove that holiness through the
>mediation of PC plastic point and click ?

Jaysus! (To take a cue) Who are we trying to please here?

Nobody's "suddenly aware" of the output costs. The point is whether it
matters to the audience.
This is a question of the quality of the image. It shouldn't (and doesn't)
matter one bit what sort of kit was responsible for the deed. What we hope
within the LUG is that the quality of our output proves the point.

>Things will be radically different two or three years from now.

Amen. I would predict (and hope) that I'll be able to more accurately (and
more quickly) digitally produce the best that Leica lenses are capable of
achieving.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst