Subject: Re: [Leica] Wonders of plastic -- am I an old fart at 43? [off topic and longish]
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:49:46 -0500

At 09:01 PM 7/21/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Is it just me, or are there others around my "tender" age (see subject
>line) who feel that they're rapidly drifting away towards the "old fart"
>side of things? But at the same time, not "old" enough not to care about
>the new developments. I think the recent darkroom vs. photoshop/inkjet has

I think you are not an old fahrt. (Okay, so I'm 43 too!). What can we do
about it?

Care for quality. Whatever gets the job done right.

That is...digital for those applications that require speed and
transmission over absolute image quality.

And traditional methods for the pictures from "the heart." The ones that
really count. The long-term art that makes photography really worthwhile. I
argue often for digital having come a long way. But if I were a fine art
photographer, I'd be doing cibas and Kodachrome and Leicas. (Or maybe Astia).
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Don't be surprised if you see a halo around my head. It should be
expected. After all, light bends around incredibly dense objects.  -
Clifton Painter