Subject: Re: [Leica] New Hasselblad camera
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:51:34 -0700

Isaac Crawford wrote:

> What would really be interesting is if the designers of the new Hassey
> kept in mind some of the other lenses out there...  For example,
> wouldn't it be nice if we could put our Leica lenses on a camera with
> aperature priority (with an adaptor probobly)?  If the autoexposure
> system is like the Pentax LX, it doesn't care what kind of lens you have
> on it...  Or what if we regular hasselblad users could put our current
> lenses on a 35mm camera (would save some money...).  Or what if the 45mm
> lens for the new camera could be put on a regular Hassey (the new lens
> can cover 65mm image circle, and so far it sounds like it will be at
> least half as much as the Zeiss 40mm)?  Just wondering...
>
> eyes

For a 24mm by 65mm format a 65mm image circle doesn't quite cut it.
Simple math says you should have about a 70mm image circle.

As to fitting Leica lenses and image circles, sure, just use the
standard 24x36 format and you are covered.  I seriously doubt that Leica
lenses will fit since I expect the back focus to be greater to
accomodate the panorama format.

It's an interesting camera, one I see as aimed at the panorama market
but in  a pinch can also pop off a few standard format frames.

Is the XPAN made in Japan a Hasselblad?

You tell me, is the Minilux made in Japan a Leica?  Sure, if Leica says
its a Leica then it is.

Dennis