Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions about my M3
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@ca.newbridge.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:43:56 -0400

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Well, now I am home and I have loaded my M3 and want to test it. I have
> a couple of questions:
>
> 1) When mounting my 50mm Summilux, I encountered a lot more resistance
> than when I mount the same lens on my M6.

I've noticed the same thing when mounting lenses on my M3 and M4.
I don't know what causes it, but it doesn't cause any problems.
Plus, I think the M3 is loosening up as I use it (just in terms
of mounting the lenses!)

> 2) To test the camera properly one obviously has to mount it on a
> tripod. Here comes the second problem. The tripod hole on the M3 is
> wider than on the M6 or on my SLRs, so I cannot mount it on my Bogen
> tripod. What are the common solutions to this problem?

Sounds like you've got a 3/8 thread in your baseplate, and the
current standard is a 1/4 inch.  You should be able to find an
adaptor to fit between the tripod head and the camera (this will
compromise rigidity, though) or at worst get a tripod head that
has interchangeable threads of both sizes.

Paul Chefurka