Subject: [Leica] Making the M6 discrete
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:44:53 -0400 (EDT)

I'm a little self conscious (sp?) about carrying the M6 around slung
over my shoulder (and even more so when it's around my neck, facing
forward).  I simply don't care for the attention it attracts.

With the black body M6, black electrical tape over the "LEICA M6" and
the ret dot(s) would work well.  What about the chrome body?  One
could paint the lettering and dot(s) with a silver metallic marker, I
suppose, but even then the silver top and bottom really stand out.
I'm not so concerned about Leica thieves, but more about how
distracting (however subtle) the camera itself is to subjects.  Black
electrical tape could still work, if one covered much more than just
the dot(s) and lettering.  Any other tricks?

I'm also interested in hearing about easy ways to carry the camera,
unless it's a FAQ for which I'll get flamed :) I find the strap that
Leica provides doesn't slide easily over clothing, so using the camera
from a slung-over-the-shoulder position isn't easy.  So far the best
method I've found is to use only a hand strap on the camera, and carry
it in a generic cloth case, with the case strap slung over the
shoulder.  I can pull the camera out of the bag easily, and it doesn't
yell "Leica here!" when the camera is inside.  I'd still prefer to
have the camera itself on a shoulder strap, but I can't find a case or
protective covering that doesn't get in the way of the camera
controls.  Is this the whole idea behind the "everready" cases?  I
have yet to see one.

Ideas?

Andrew