Subject: [Leica] "Dilettantes" and the LUG
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:35:12 -0700

The term "dilettante"  has its roots in the Italian "dilettare": to delight
in. Thus it means one who takes pleasure in something. As used in Italian
and French it means one who occupies oneself in an endeavor on an amateur
level, with no evident tenacity, passion, or intensity of application.
The Spanish equivalent is "aficionado" (also "diletante") which describes
one with an inclination or enthusiasm for a given field without pursuing it
to a professional level.
It is used in the arts to identify a beginner, especially a fledgling or one
without initial promise.

Doe it apply to LUGers? Nah, judging from our tenacity, passion and
intensity of ….ah…. application we ain’t no
dilettantes.

Joseph Codispoti