Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux and Filters
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:41:06 -0700

Jeff Moore wrote:

> Since I haven't yet gotten around to that, though -- I've been too busy taking
> pictures with it to shoot tests -- anybody else have comments based on
> real-world experiences with a befiltered Noctilux?  I mean, how bad is it, and
> with what qualitative characteristics?

in my real world experience:

in general i haven't been able to discern the difference between "filter on"
and "filter off" *EXCEPT* that if there is a point of light at an oblique
angle to the direction of the lens you get a series of repeating reflections
of the point of light running across the frame. it looks like a comet
taken with muilt-exposure-time-lapse. i assume that this is the light bouncing
between the front element and the filter....

as for sharpness, one of the incredible things about the lens is that you get
what looks like 600mm depth of field in a 50mm angle of view, at least that's
how i would characterize it. depending on your subject, it can be, and in my
case usually is, most of the frame is out of focus anyways.

mark

ps:

>  -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>

do you work for the after-hours trading folks ?