Subject: Re: [Leica] leica M vs. R for people
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 18:21:12 -0500

At 11:01 AM 8/4/98 -0700, you wrote:

>If I wanted a better R body than the R4....more sturdy and with
>higher top shutter speed.....which would you recommend?
>I am looking at the R6.2 or R7.  The R8 is just a bit too bulky
>for my hands.

The R7 is the best R camera before the R8. For you, and your critical
standards, you want a camera that will give you 1/2 stop shutter speed
steps. According to Don Goldberg (he told me this himself) the R7 has a
more rugged film advance than the R4s,5,E or 6(.2). In fact, he told me
"The R7 is the first professional quality SLR Leica has made since the SL2."

Of course, the R6 and R6.2 are great cameras too, but manual shutters just
can't be as accurate as electronic ones. And the R7's mirror is better
dampened than any of the R4 cameras. You get less vibration with the R7. I
noticed it, with visibly better pictures at slow shutter speeds. And the
viewfinder display is better. I really like the R7, and if I didn't like
the R8 so much, I'd get one for my next SLR purchase. No question.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

What is the probability that something will happen according to the odds?