Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: X-Ray question
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 00:07:12 +0100

David Young wrote:

> At 08:32 PM 06/08/98 +0100, ted grant wrote:
>
> >Recommendation of the day! Going anywhere in the world, carry all film as
> >on board baggage and don't take a chance anywhere as at the moment it seems
> >no one has a fix at which airports the mega film brner scanners are
> >installed. Rarely if ever do hand bag scanners screw film.

> While the X-ray machines at major airports are likely OK, I have had film
> fogged by "hand bag scannerss" in third world countries.
> I make sure to have my film had inspected at every security gate - but am
> often hassled by the staff who'd rather just x-ray the stuff it's easier.
> So, my question is... has anybody had experience with the so-called
> film-safe bags? Do they actually offer worthwhile protection?

I've read that at least one major photographer (Rowell??) carries all
film in transparent ziplock bags, in an acessible location, for hand-
inspection. The rationale is that X-ray-opaque containers will only
arouse greater suspicion, leading to a hand-search anyway.
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com