Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: X-Ray question
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:32:47 +0100

David Young wrote:

>While the X-ray machines at major airports are likely OK, I have had film
>fogged by "hand bag scannerss" in third world countries.>>>>>>

Thanks David, I had forgotten about warning for these countries as I don't
believe they maintain the equipment properly for one thing, nor train
people as adequetly as they should.

>I make sure to have my film had inspected at every security gate - but am
>often hassled by the staff who'd rather just x-ray the stuff it's easier.>>>>

Well there are a few cities in the world where film goes through even if
you're the Queen of England....like Heathrow in London! There isn't any
point argueing, discussing, nada..... it goes through or you don't get on
the plane.

>So, my question is... has anybody had experience with the so-called
>film-safe bags? Do they actually offer worthwhile protection?>>>>>

With the new 5000 baggage scanners, if the scanner can't see what's in the
"lead film safe bag" they just turn up the power until they can see it's
film and by then your film is nicely fried alive! Or the other......if they
can't see what's in it, you don't get on the plane until you open your bags
and show them!

Meanwhile you have made the plane late for departure and every other
passenger hates your guts! ;)

The best bet? Carry all film on board out of the little black containers,in
clear ziplock freezer bags. I put about thirty rolls to a bag, zip-up and
then the security folks can see it is film, don't be surprised if they open
the bag and run their fingers through the film.

And for those who must use the container and caps....put them in your
luggage and reload the film at the end of your flight.

One other thing that helps with carry film on board and not scanned, is to
walk-up put down your hand bag and just place the clear bags of film in the
box that you would throw your change and keys into before passing through
the metal detector. If you do this with an assured action as though you
have done it a thousand times, they usually (not always) just pass it over
with nothing more than a glance.

Other LUGNUTS have various stories about airports, some horrendous!
I hope this helps.

ted