Subject: Re: [Leica] On Photographic Seeing
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 00:33:59 -0400

Joe,

Wonderful question and in light of all the recent "controversy" well
phrased.  Here's my approach. First, I read constantly. I am always
trying to understand and increase my awareness of the human condition.
Whether this is through magazines or literature I feel it helps broaden
my awareness of what it is to be human.=20

Second, I absorb any and every image I can. In particular, I try to look
at a photo book at least once a night, especially in the summer sitting
on the porch. If you really want to see what sensitivity of vision is
look at the powerful images that Cartier-Bresson or Inge Morath or
Robert Frank or Sebastian Selgado or Larry Trowell or a host of others
pull out of everyday life with their Leicas.

Third, and I think this is particularly relevant to your question
regarding travel vs. that which we have become most familiar with. I
found the same situation when I travel to Europe. I am agog with images
just waiting to be made. They are everywhere. So I asked myself what I
can do in my own environment, my own culture, as a person with some
visual abilities and sensitivity to depict that culture. I now keep the
camera with me everywhere. I have been working, visiting every summer
festival, county fair, fireman's carnival that I can. If you place
yourself in situations that you find familiar you will find truth and
beauty wherever you look. Then it's up to you to work on and improve
your technique so that you can best record your feelings, reactions and
perceptions.=20

Cartier-Bresson had been inspired by a book "Zen and the Art of Archery"
written by Eugene Herrigel in the early 50s. Herrigel elaborates on his
time of study with a zen master learning archery. What he comes away
with (and this is oversimplification) and what Cartier-Bresson found
parallel to his photographic approach is a unifying of subject and
object. As in you and what you're photographing. The arrow (or camera)
can serve as a bridge between the two. What Herrigel also found is that
you have to forget you. You have to become part of the process and
forget the goal. This is what I strive for. I react to my feelings. The
camera is preset. It rises to my eye as in this evening when I saw the
two older men sitting at a table talking animatedly. I move slowly. I
think myself invisible. The shutter releases and the camera returns to
my side. And with luck and everything else I hope I will have a photo
that transcends just two guys talking and reaches some level of human
understanding, a sharing of the great dance of life, a moment of truth
that we all can relate to, that pauses us to think and become part of
the photo.

When I teach photography to 6th graders (once a year) I teach them
awareness and seeing. This year we won't even use cameras, just cropping
squares and we'll walk around looking through them. Just being aware.
Just seeing. Just reacting to our feelings and emotions. A Leica doesn't
get in the way of that when I take it with me. Whew!

- --=20
Carl Socolow

"Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do." Garrison
Keillor.