Subject: [Leica] The Changing LUG
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 13:34:19 -0400

I have been on the LUG for some four or five years now, since early on in
my Internet experience.  The List HAS changed, and this is a measure of
growth.  I haven't left, nor am I inclined to do so, but some of the Old
LUG Hands will note that I'm a heck of a lot less active, now, than I once
was.  I guess that I am one of the three or four "Senior Statespersons" of
the LUG.

I have been corresponding privately with almost all of those who have so
dramatically left -- Roger, Alf, Marvin, Stephen Gandy, Erwin, among many
others -- and their concerns seem identical:  the high signal-to-noise
content, the endless arguments over meaningless points, the repetitive
"me-too" messages, and the horrid way in which an issue, once discussed, is
back again a month or three later (the Tri-Elmar, the Adorama lenses, the
R-versus-M controversy, the "which lens is best" silliness).  In a sense,
these discussions are senseless and painful;  in another, they are the sort
of drawn-out analyses which mark a close group of intimate friends.

I understand why all these folks left, and I regret their going -- Marvin,
Stephen, Alf, and Erwin, especially, have become close friends.  But the
LUG goes on, and it is a Leica USERS' Group:  that is, this is a list
dedicated to the study and discussion of the USE of Leica gear.  The USE of
Leica gear includes lens discussions, hardware discussions, film
discussions, technique discussions, as well as the broader scope of
"photography as art".  Now, this last bores me -- I do know what I LIKE in
pictures, and I do a bit of professional shooting, so my customers seemed
pleased, but I am not interested in investing a lot of time in discussing
"photography as art".  Others regard my lens-and-equipment posts as boring.
 This dichotomy is what keeps us young.  I read posts I find I have little
interest in (and delete them if the thread persists), while others read my
posts, and find little of interest there.  So be it:  we have a large and
vibrant list with a lot of interests!

I regret the losses to the LUG, as they have included some epic and
wonderful folks of great merit, some remarked upon, others of whom have
passed on in silence.  But the LUG persists, and will continue, for a
while, as the representative sampling of what the breed is all about, the
love, care, and use of Leica cameras.

I have knocked and banged and scarfed Leicas for many years.  I have
hammered them.  They are tough and effective tools of great worth -- I find
I never use my SLR's when I have a Leica at hand.  And the talking of this
is what this LUG is about.  If I had to limit myself to one
miniature-format system, well, a Leica M would be my choice, no holds
barred (and I am the Vice-President of Zeiss Historica, folks, so
understand my bias!)

Let us move forward, guys.  There is an old country phrase that "there is
one dance left in the old lady yet".  Well, there are still a few frames
left unshot in the Leica.  Let us all go forth, take lots of Leica
pictures, and talk about the equipment, the pictures, the techniques, and
the ethos of photography, but let us all remember that, above all, we are
friends discussing friendly things on friendly turf.

As my lamented friend, Chris Fortunko, was wont to close his posts,

Best of light,

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!