Subject: Re: [Leica]ISP charges and new R lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:00:57 -0500

At 11:48 AM 8/10/98 +0800, you wrote:

>Interesting to hear about your 70-180 experiences - how does it compare
>to your 180 in use? For example do you find you need to use faster speeds
>to compensate for the weight? How about vignetting? How do you carry it -

Very good question. I carry it by it's own strap lugs. It takes more
thinking to carry it so that you don't knock off the lens cap. But I am
finding that hanging it on my neck, yes, my neck,  on my chest pointing
straight down, seems to be the best for "in the battle." When not using it
for a while, but having to carry it, I carry it on my left shoulder kind of
behind and pointing backwards and to the side. It's hard to explain. Just
have to deal with it. It's such a wonderful lens it's worth the effort.

No, I don't need faster shutter speeds. It's so heavy that it stabilizes
itself for normal use. I haven't noticed any vignetting as of yet. Or
distortion. In my Domke bag it sticks up, but I use it so much it rarely
makes it in the bag. The principle of the instrument applies. Give a child
a hammer, and everything he encounters requires hammering. I'm at that
stage with this lens. :-)

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

D)inner not ready:  (A)bort (R)etry (P)izza.