Subject: Re: [Leica] On Photographic Seeing
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:17:51 -0400

Andre,
A marvelous teacher you had! That story made me realize after all these
years what Weston was doing photographing peppers time and time again.
Forcing oneself to 'look' at an object or scene time after time, until you
finally 'see' it. Such an experience for me was a painting that for the
longest time looked like an abstract pattern of blue on off white- nothing
tangible. Suddenly, it snapped into recognition as a painting of the head of
Christ wearing a crown of thorns. Once the recognition is there, it's easy
to see it again- but oh what a task to see it for the first time!
Still looking, still trying, through the Leica viewfinder,
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com