Subject: [Leica] BD post: Street / candid / Somalia
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:54:45 +0100

B.D. wrote:

>I just downloaded the attached text file from the "Newsday" library. It is a
>piece I wrote in Feb., 1993, on my return from Somalia, where I was working
>for the paper as both a writer and photographer. I believe the first part is
>totally relevant to this "street photography" exchange.>>>>>>

B.D.

You just made the day as far as I'm concerned of what the people in the LUG
are all about!! We are more than just cameras and lenses, we are human
beings with hearts and minds bound to-gether through the Leica camera.  We
are better for having people like yourself part of the LUG family!  Chalks
up another reason for not going any place else.   Thakyou for posting it.

Sure made me remember similar experiences photographing unfortunate  people
of some countries. And when you are shooting the frames and looking through
the viewfinder it becomes your shield away from reality. However, it
lessens not the after emotion effect when you are home sitting quietly with
the minds eye repeating the images!  Tough trying to put them aside at
times.

ted