Subject: Portraiture question (Re: [Leica] 75/1.4 versus 90/2.0)
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:57:03 +0000

Let me expand, if I may, the scope of Richard's question for I
experienced a problem where the lens I used was "too accurate" for
one of the two subjects in a recent portrait session. I did use
medium format SLR with a 150mm lens primarily for the size of the
negative and secondarily because my R body was in the shop at the
time.

I was doing 75-year-old twins - brother and sister. He was in good
health, tan complexion, smooth skin. Her face showed the etchings of
age.  And she was not overly enthused about what the sharpness of the
lens did to her.  A softening filter would have helped her but not
him.  The lab doing the final prints was able to soften just her face
a little.

So my question is: how can one handle differences in skin quality
among subjects in a single portrait?

Roy