Subject: Re: [Leica] Theory and practice (slightly long, but on topic ;)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:49:31 -0700

Martin V. Howard wrote:

> In trying to learn photography again, I've discovered something very
> interesting: I know a fair amount of compositional theory, but I find
> that the best pictures I take are ones where I haven't thought too much
> about the composition, but just taken the picture.

Martin,

Most professional writers read a lot.  Interestingly, many of my
professional associates often know little about the history of
photography.  Yet knowing the history, knowing many images that move you
gives you visual vocabulary, a library, if you will, of experience and
ways to express.  Best is not following the "rules," but having the
rules buried deep in your foundation.

donal
- --
Donal Philby