Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford Film & Developer
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:27:11 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

>I also like the idea of the X-Tol developer, without the environmentally
>hazardous hydro-whatsits.  I would like to hear if anyone has experience
>of Ilford films (such as FP4+, HP5+, Delta 100 & 400) and X-Tol
>developer, and what that experience is.
>
>Please include all the relevant information on development, as the
>example above.

I like FP4 and HP5, and now use Xtol. I find it very convenient to be able
to mix and use the developer at the same temperature, and also like the
environmental benefits. I use it at 1:1 at 21 degrees C, at the times that
Kodak recommends. They have a tech bulletin on the web (j107 ?) in PDF form
that gives basic info on the film, and processing times for various
manufacturer's films. Just make sure that you do not use less than 100cc of
stock solution, in whatever dilution, for a 36exp. film, as
underdevelopment will result (in faster films especially).

Xtol is also good with HIE and the Tmax family. As with D-76 or ID-11,
contrast and tonal control both in the toe and shoulder of the density
curve is easy with Xtol, and both these film need all the help they can
get. I also seem to get slightly finer grain and acutance with Xtol
compared with D-76, just as Kodak claims. Tmax developer seems to produce
finer grain with the Tmax films, but the shoulder area of the curve is a
lot harder to control, with resulting hard-to-print highlights in a lot of
cases.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com