Subject: Re: [Leica] COVERAGE OF PC LENS
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:24:07 -0400

	Allo Martin,

	Perspective Control lenses are equipped with a micrometric
	INTERNAL lens element (or group) movement control mechanism.
	It does not shift the ANGLE of the WHOLE lens structure.

	As you move further down in focal lengths,
	you will only AMPLIFY the impression of divergent lines
	in your image, which can be VERY USEFUL in "creative
	photography" when you want the CONTRARY visual effect
	that a "PC" lens will allow you to "bring home".

	For example, in architectural photography,
	a very rectilinear building or structure, especially when a
	symmetric or parallel feature is to be enhanced by the photographer,
	"perspective control" is nonesuch to "image" that
	aspect or element of the building.

	In nature photography, "PC" would be a wonderful asset
	to restore, on a final image, the linearity of a pattern
	such as a row of trees, either "dead on" (perpendicular)
	or with a "flowing lines" image composition for a shot
	snapped from another angle. In cramped quarters,
	or for closer subjects, PC be quite an advantage
	in the ADDED FLEXIBILITY it provides the photographer.

	On the other hand, (lucky dog !) a 19 mm lens, "clean" as
	the Leica 19mm (very limited distorsion and barrelling effect),
	this one could be MOST useful to image curvilinear structures
	and EMPHASIZE that very aspect of a subject or location,
	providing the option of quite dramatic effects that would,
	for instance, "explode" a group of trees an provide a more
	intense sense of "I, the viewer" as opposed to a "descriptive" less
	"involving" "objectivity" that a PC lens COULD deliver to
	do the exact contrary visual effect or FURTHER ENHANCE
	the "exploding" or "spreading" trees in a given series of shots.

	The ultra wide-angle 19mm is an excellent choice, in nature photo-
	graphy, where the image would otherwise feel cramped
	or where extreme depth-of-field is required.
	It IS a-n-o-t-h-e-r sort of "perspective control" of its own
	that would be excellent to enhance impressions of PROXIMITY
	or DISTANCE for instance.

	As far as i am concerned, everybody should own a PC capable
	wide angle lens as a wonderful creative tool: the prices might lower !

	The better visual description of "perspective control" ability
	i have seen is Hasselblad's new "ArcBody" sub-system product
literature.
	That would be an aggravated PC capability but what they show there
	definitely wets an architectural photographer's appetite
	and clarify one's mind on the whole matter once and for all.
	It's free just for the asking and worth looking into, really.

	The case will NEVER be choosing to buy a 19mm ultra wide angle
	against a PC capable wide-angle lens, as both are eminent creative
tools
	that provide wonderful and far different CREATIVE CONTROL options.

	NOW, have you ever tried that 15mm SUPER-ELMAR 110=F8 piece
	of LEICA optics ? That's going far afield from "mom and pop"
	photography... Great for Halloween shots ! ! !

	All the Best !

	Andre Jean Quintal

		    <<<<<<<<<<<<< o >>>>>>>>>>>>

At 17:29 +0800 14/08/98, yeo-ka@dematic.com.sg wrote:
>     Hi LUGGERS
>
>     I am curious about the coverage of the 28mm PC Super Angulon-R lens.
>     According to the catalogue, this lens has an angle of view of 73/93
>     degrees. I would assume the 93 deg is the coverage when the lens is
>     shifted.
>
>     Looking at the angle of view of the 19mm Elmarit-R, its coverage is 96
>     degrees. Can I assume that, instead of using the 28mm PC with shift to
>     maintain straight lines in my image, I use the 19mm and making sure
>     that the film plane is parallel with the image, will also maintain
>     straight lines in my image? When the final print is out, I just have
>     to crop the unwanted foreground.
>
>     I will then have the same coverage as the image taken with the 28mm
>     PC. Is this really true? Would appreciate your comments.
>
>     Thanks
>     Martin

Love one another.
ICQ : 166 066 16