Subject: Re: [Leica] on photographic seeing
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 18:27:57 EDT

Dominique,

It was with some interest that I read your critique of my photo "Charleston
Sweetgrass Basket Ladies", which appeared on the back cover of Viewfinder
Vol.31, number 2.  I took the picture while walking through the Old Market in
Charleston.  I happened to have my 24/2.8 M on the camera and I was looking
for suitable subjects to shoot with it.  I happened to see these two women
with their baskets spread out in front of them, with the baskets extending
from their feet all the way to the curb on the street.  Perfect subject for a
super wide lens I thought.  I then composed and took the picture.  I was quite
pleased with the result and so was the Viewfinder editor, Roy Moss.

Your comments on what would have made a better picture are interesting, but
frankly not realistic.  Though these women do not like to have their picture
taken, they normally react by covering their face to the photographer.  This
would not have helped the composition in my opinion. The fact that they have
not covered their face means they have not noticed me taking their picture. I
did take a second picture after this first one, and one of the women was
covering her face! I prefer to work this way on the street, not being
intrusive while making the picture.  The Leica M is the perfect camera for
this. The women also will make comments such as, "I hope all your pictures are
out of focus!"  They would not pick up their baskets and run away as they
consider the sidewalk their place of business.  Your other suggestion of
showing a black child buying a basket is also not practical.  If you look
closely at the baskets in the photo, you can read the price tags on the
baskets.  The prices range from $45 to $70.  Clearly out of reach of the
average person, let alone a child.  This would also have been manipulative and
intrusive to the scene.  You might also suggest that I waited to take the
photo until something "dynamic" happened, but given the basket ladies attitude
towards photographers, I doubt a good photo would have been the result.

As it is I am very pleased with the photograph.  In my opinion, street
photography should be "found", without the photographer imposing on the
subject and interfering in the subject's life.  Some people like this
confrontational style, but I personally do not practice this in my
photography.  I prefer to take a more passive role and photograph life as I
found it, without imposing myself.  This is my style of photography, which may
be different from yours.  And differences are what makes life interesting.

Thank you again for noticing my photo and taking the time to comment on it.

Bill Rosauer

QTY

1
1