Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summicron and Summilux
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:24:29 -0400

Dan:

Both leica lenses are very similar, but they are quite different than the
Canon. The Canon 50 1.4 is a sharp lens. and it has a very neutral boke,
soft rather than blurry, but without the character of the leica background.
It seems to have less shadow detail, but I'm not really secure in that
observation because there could be exsposure factors that come into play
with Velvia. Both Leica 50mms were on the same camera, so I know the
exposures, off or on, were the same from frame to frame. It could be just
the the Canon electronic shutter is more accurate.

I preffer either Leica Lens over the Canon, but the Canon lens is truly in
the same league.

Tom

I At 02:41 AM 8/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>And how did they compare with the Canon lens?
>
>Dan C.
>
>At 11:04 PM 14-08-98 -0400, Tom wrote:
>>Luggers:
>>
>>As I promised, I have done some side by side test of a current 50mm
>>Summilux-M and a classic rigid 50mm Summicron-M, Wetzlar. I'm no scientist,
>>still, my method was pretty sound. [snip]
>
>> For laughs I
>>also shot everything with a Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM on an A2.

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria