Subject: Re: [Leica] VARIO-ELMAR-R f/3.5-4.5/28-70 mm
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:27:03 EDT

<< But I'm painfully aware of how
 much time I already spend changing lenses. In Greece last year I sa >>
Hi Doug,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have been very happy with the lens. In fact,
before I bought it I took a couple rolls of Kodachrome 25 and tech pan at the
dealers with the zoom, the 35,2.8; 50,2.0 and 90,2.0.  The zoom looked very
good and, in fact was sharper in the edges than the 35mm. I did not see any
differences in color rendition or saturation using a ten power glass on the
slides. That was a long time ago, now; but I still use that zoom and the
70-210 as my traveling gear. I was at the SanDiego Wild Animal Zoo last week
down on the truck among the animals. Although I have a lot of bodies and
lenses and could very well have carried some of them, two bodies with these
two zooms produced photos with moving subjects that I could not have take any
other way. Sometimes you get into situations where you cannot change your
position even thought the subject does, what else can you use but a zoom?

There may very well have been some problems with the lens and it does not have
the same feel as the fixed focal lengths, but mine has worked perfectly for
many years, as I said, and its image rendition only suffers in the more
extreme conditions compared to the fixed lengths.

Bob