Subject: [Leica] Leica M6 in Federal Courthouse
From: Tony Rowlett <rowlett@alaska.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:37:14 -0800

Greetings, Lugnuts:

Just a cool anecdote I thought I'd pass on.  Kind of makes me (more)
proud to own a Leica M6.  I work for the U.S. Courts and frequently
travel around the country to attend seminars and classes on computer
topics.  This summer I traveled to Hammond, Indiana, to attend a
week-long programming class, held in training room, deep in the confines
of the federal courthouse.  I of course had my M6, but cameras are not
allowed in federal courts, and being only a visitor, they're not allowed
inside the courthouse at all (the guard holds your camera in a drawer
until you leave). Well, I had to forfeit my M6 to the guards every time
I entered the building.  Each time I would say, "Please be careful with
this; it is a very valuable camera."  Coming back from lunch the second
day, I was prepared to give up my Leica again (I could only imaging how
my M6 was probably being thrown into a metal drawer, and that by the
time I got home to Alaska, my M6 would look battle-worn only because of
this one guard), but, surprisingly, the guard told me that after
consulting with the other guard, it was decided that I could have my
camera with me while I was inside the building!  They didn't want to
assume responsibility for such a valuable camera, and please don't take
any pictures while I was inside!  Well, needless to say, for the
duration of the week, I did take plenty of shots inside the courthouse
in Hammond, Indiana!  :)

I love my M6.

Tony Rowlett
- --