Subject: [Leica] ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:36:55 -0700

George wrote:
<<The front ring though, has to be keyed in to the electronics.  How else is the meter going to know how to give out an EV value unless you tell it the film speed in use?  When you turn the front ring, it clicks in one-third stops.  The back dials just turn freely.>>

No, the EV in the viewfinder always reads for ISO 100.  Period.  There is no connection to electronics.

This was a big adjustment for me when I switched to the Minolta SpotMeter IVF.  On the Minolta the "EV" reading in fact changes as you change the ISO speed.

Although I love the Minolta (I bought into the BTZS method for LF photography and this one works better with that system) the Pentax has a very useful education function.  If you use it faithfully you will begin to look at a highlight and say, "Ah, that is 14" and then look at a shadow and say "Looks like 7" without even lifting the meter.  A meter that changes the "EV" with ISO never lets you gain this correlation in your mind.

Bob

Bob

Remember that overnight success
usually takes about fifteen years.