Subject: Re: [Leica] Italy bound, etc...
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 98 20:59:51 -0400

Hello all,

I haven't said much here though I enjoy the discussions quite thoroughly
(despite the lunacy). Or maybe because of. I spoke before of a traveller
in Central America. This time I have a question. I know it's been asked
before but I wasn't listening well at the time. But first, let me tell
you of my plans. I shoot for a living and have "taken a vow" to never do
weddings. I shot one about 10 years ago when I was still an assistant and
the money seemed attractive. It went fine and all, but, well, you know.
I've turned them all down since. Attention wedding guys: I respect you.
Anyway, a client of mine was in the studio a couple of weeks ago and I
was shooting a job and she was talking about getting married in Italy
this fall and bitching about having to deal with the photography and
all...so I said to the effect of "you fly me to Italy and put me up for a
week and I'll shoot it". Ha,ha. Our job progressed and finished and we
joked about it and all and then, a day later, she calls and says "Were
you serious?".  Well, yeah. So, I'm going to Italy to actually shoot a
wedding. I met with the happy couple yesterday to talk. She's an art
director in advertising that deals with photographers regularly. What it
comes down to what they want is: "Do what you do". No endless shots of
wedding goupings. Just do what I do. This is great! Nothing traditional
at all really. Here's where my relatively new way of
seeing/thinking/acting with the Leica rangefinder come into play. Funny
that this very traditional camera is now so very untraditional. And that
it has allowed me to be comfortable in a situation that a year ago I
would have been terrified of. Anyway...

Here's the question and answer part of the game. I know how to shoot B&W
and color transparency film without question. But I use color negative
almost never. Of course the latitude is great, so getting a good exposure
is no problem. Color balance and grain are the variables here for me.
I'll be shooting both B&W and color neg in variable lighting conditions,
some low light. Probably very little flourecent because it's in this
ancient villa and compound that's supposed to be very, very cool. I have
a tiny flash that I may use very reluncantly at some point. However, I
will shoot mainly existing light. Now, please, nobody go on about using a
flash, I just won't do it. I need advice on the color neg film choices.
Slow, fast, Fuji, Kodak, whatever... Obviously, I want the sharpest and
finest grain available while considering my speed needs. Any info on this
topic will help me. If you feel you need, you mail email me privately
(chaslor@mindspring.com). I know this topic has probably been beat to
death.

I'll go on to spend an additional two weeks in Italy with my wife and 13
year old. It's gonna be a blast! I plan to shoot like mad! From a
portfolio point of view, my self assignment to Central America was quite
successful and has changed the dynamics of my portfolio. I intend to
follow through with this trip to Italy. I shoot people. My itinerary
includes Venice, Florence, possibly Cinque Terre, some Rome, and the
Orvieta area of Tuscany. Any past experiences or points of view on this
subject are welcome here. I've lately been rediscovering Kodachrome, my
mentor. I'll probably bring about 150 rolls of film. Mostly color
transparency but much B&W as well.

I admit, I will have a Nikon along as well with about three fast primes.
This is only due to the fact that I don't have a Leica SLR at this point
(shame, shame, shame). I do believe that the rangefinder and SLR can, in
fact should, coexist. To me, it's a difference in perspective. Not the
camera's, but our own. The SLR is more precise, you see exactly what is
framed within the viewfinder. Since I have a preference to shoot wide
open or very nearly almost all the time, I also see the "bokeh" with an
SLR. You tend to frame very accurately. The rangefinder on the other
hand, is more about the space. Things interact in front of you, you see
this, and frame accordingly. I tend to frame much more loosely. Two very
different ways of seeing. Both are very rewarding.

I thank you for an help on this matter and if anybody has any thoughts on
the other matters, feel free. Does anybody here ever see the
Communication Arts Photo Annual?

charles