Subject: Re: [Leica] Voyage to Munich
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:22:45 -0400

Francois,

Although I now live in the Washington, D.C. metro area (sort of), I lived in
Munich in the sixties and I had the good fortune to spend nearly a month in
that area this past Fall.  Here are my tips.

Probably the most famous Munich landmark, the glockenspiel in the town hall
(Rathaus) is unavoidable but over-rated.  But once in the area, do see the
Frauenkirche, the large church with the two onion domes.  Not far from here
is a large open air market called the Viktualienmarkt (victuals market).
This a very colorful area where you may see Bavarians in traditional
costume.  I've always found them happy to cooperate if you want to snap some
photos.

There are inumerable museums and palaces in Munich including Alte and Neue
Pinakotek, Residenzmuseum und Schatzkammer, Nymphenburg Palace, etc.  All
worth seeing, but not (IMHO) necessarily the most fertile ground for the
photographer.  One idea which may surprise you is to go to one of Munich's
famous beerhalls.  These are huge places filled with real Germans as well as
tourists.  The beer and food are great and with a flash or fast lens and
film, and some discretion, you may get some great pictures.  You may well
sit down at a table with strangers and part as friends.  You will learn what
Gemuetlichkeit is all about.

Das Deutsche Museum (German Museum), once again, interesting, but no great
shakes for the photographer.  Try the English Garden, a large park in the
Northeastern part of the city.  Also try the Bohemian (artist's) quarter of
the city for atmosphere.

If you have a car (or if you don't, then take the train) please try to get
out into the countryside.  I recommend area just beyond Rosenheim.  This is
to the Southeast of the city.  I think you take the A-9 toward Salzburg,
Austria.  Get off when you see signs for Rosenheim or Bad Aibling.  Munich
is on a plateau.  The sight of the Bavarian Alps rising suddlenly up out of
the edge of this plateau is remarkable indeed.  Garmisch Partenkirchen and
the Zugspitze is South and a bit West of the city.  However it is usually
swamped with American and Japanese tourists.  Few Germans go there.  I would
rather recomment the Wendelstein near Bayrischzell.  There is a nice little
train ride you can take to the top, including a cog-wheel train.  You can
ride up and hike down, ride both ways, hike both ways, as you wish.  You
will definitely see lots of Bavarians there in their traditional costumes.

Neuschwanstein (one of the castles build by the mad King Ludwig II) is
reached by taking the train to Fuessen and then a bus to the castle.  Very
touristy, but magnificent views.  Another of Ludwig's castles is on one of
the islands in Chiemsee, just beyond Rosenheim.

If you do have a car, drive around the small towns near Rosnheim.  These are
wonderful, Bavarian resort towns where Germans go to bath in the curative
mud from the surrounding moors.  There are wonderful little restaurants in
these towns, some of which you need to try.

Wherever you go, have coffee in a Konditorei, or pastry shop.  An elegant
way to pass an hour or two enjoying great coffee and fresh baked goods.
They server the strudel hot with whipped cream on it.  Or try
Zwetschgentaschen.  These are plum tarts served also served with whipped
cream.  Once again, in my opinion, some photo possibilities here.

One great place to get directions is at the main rail station (Hauptbahnhof)
in Munich.  This is also an excellent place to find a hotel or room in
someone's home.  In fact by booking your hotel room through them, you will
actually get a discount on the room.  You tell them approximately how much
you want to spend and they will show you pictures of what's available in
that price range.

Another possible place to take pictures is in the U-bahn (subway).  Street
performers or beggars are often amenable in exchange for a small
contribution.  Or try one of the older Schwimmhalle.  I once got a great
shot of some older gents all wrapped up in their towels in the steam room.
They were surprised, but not offended.  Of course speaking a bit of German
helps here.

Munich is certainly one of the most colorful and frientliest cities in
Germany.  Be open and friendly and you'll have a great time and get some
great photos.

Zum Prosit,

Bruce S.