Subject: Re: [Leica] Lick Your Lens...
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:30 -0400

At 23:16 -0700 19/08/98, Bill Erfurth wrote:

>[ . . . ], Lick your Lens.  Then wipe it dry with a soft pure cotton cloth.=
"
[ . . . ]
>The other thing you may not know is that saliva will keep your lens
>from fogging up.
>Bill Erfurth

	Beer or no beer,
	this makes a lot of sense,
	skindivers use it all the time.

	Must be because of some "anti-fog factor"
	protein coming from the kissing:
	ever been "glassy eyed" ?     --->     ;+)

	Whatever, my diving lens
	was "way" better with such.
	Don't drink and dive, however .

	BUT: though i HAVE spitted at my lens(es) before,
	my favorite remains "steaming" (for lack of another English
	word -- "bu=E9e" in French ) my lens with my breath
	then gently rub with a Kodak Lens cleaning
	tissue, using a toothpick (with the same type tissue)
	to reach the very edge of the lens, gently, if required.
	Or Kodak Lens Cleaning Fluid if it starts
	getting on the real bad side of things
	or before a "project", doing all lenses in a row,
	before hand.

	Medical grade isopropyl alcohol
	is the stuff my photocopier days technician
	used to clean those problem selenium drums:
	the only stuff that left no traces
	and wouldn't CAUSE secondary problems.
	We actually went to an hospital
	to get a few bottles: much better than the
	usual commercial stuff; just about the same price.
	Even though the purity numbers look about the same,
	that hospital stuff is MUCH better than the discount pharmacy
	"variant" : my technician was the best around
	and wouldn't use any other stuff on the expensive
	and fragile drums. [PS: he didn't DRINK the stuff either...]

	Acetone, benzene and such, i'll leave to the pros.
	Yet, my eyeware optician uses acetone,
	but my glasses are NOT $1000 PLUS photo lenses...
	and have no fancy chemicals to cement the optical elements.

	Andre Jean Quintal

Love one another.
ICQ : 166 066 16
megamax@abacom.com