Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M7 hype
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 01:08:10 EDT

I would agree with Erwin that there will be no M7 at this year's Photokina.
What I have been able to find out through my contacts is that there will be an
improved M6 camera which will be called - surprise! - M6.  It will have TTL
flash metering.  It will have additional electronic contacts in the flash
shoe.  It will probably require some new type of SCA series flash shoe adapter
(maybe SCA 351) to allow the TTL flash function.  This TTL flash capability
more than likely is the result of an improved metering circuit, not a new
meter cell.  Sync speed should remain 1/50, unfortunately.  Theoretically,
sync speed could be increased to 1/90 as in the SL/SL2 cameras by increasing
the shutter tension.  But according to a well-known Leica technician, this
would have detrimental results for the M shutter wind mechanism.  The only
other way to increase sync speed would be to redesign the shutter itself
(i.e., vertical bladed shutter), change the shutter curtain material (i.e.,
titanium as in the early Nikon F series) or make other drastic changes to the
classic Leica shutter.  All of these alternatives are very unlikely.  Current
M6 and M6HM production has ceased this summer to allow transition to the new
model for its Photokina introduction.  The improved M6 will most likely be
available in "classic" and HM formats.  This is despite the rumor I heard from
a major German Leica dealer that the M6HM was being discontinued because only
500 of them had been sold.
The new camera should be hard to discern from the current M6, somewhat like
the M6HM, to the casual observer.  My guess would be only the additional flash
shoe contacts will give it away.  Disappointing?  Maybe, but I think the M6 is
almost the perfect (nothing is ever truly perfect, is it?) rangefinder camera
and the added feature of TTL flash metering does add to its utility.
I would predict that the M7 will appear at the next Photokina in 2000.  This
should be the electronic, vertically traveling bladed shutter camera with
aperature priority AE that has been speculated upon.  The M6 should stay in
production as well.
Most delicious rumor I've heard lately?  Konica will introduce just such an
"M7" type camera with an M lens mount.  Now, won't that be interesting!
We'll know all in a few short weeks!

Bill Rosauer