Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lens still superior???
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 08:00:18 -0500

At 12:19 PM 8/22/98 +0200, you wrote:

>prices, they don't have to engineer any "economy" lenses into their lineup.

That is the case, and the reason for the "error" in that person's thinking.
Like it should apply to Leica's competitors that they only have to argue
from their few "best" lenses while comparing to Leica's full line. It
doesn't shake. Most people buy one system for all their needs, or the M and
R in Leica's case. No other camera maker makes as comprehensive a set of
lenses that cover so many bases so well - optically.

>But as to a blanket statement that they're "optically superior" --
>well,they aren't, and never were.The best lenses of other makers have
>always been able to match or exceed the performance of Leica lenses. In

Based on what? Popular Photography's tests? David Duncan Douglas' tests in
the 50s?

>As a conclusion, let me tell you a story. A few months ago, the french
>photographer Guy Le Querrec had all his Leica gear stolen.He advertised in
>CI writing he wanted a summicron 35, 2nd type with 6 elements.A rumor was

That's supposed to prove something?
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

As far as I'm concerned, treachery will sometimes bring loyalty into question.